Dental implants act as a replacement for the root of a missing tooth. The dental implant is surgically fixed into the jawbone, after which it is allowed to fuse with the bone over a few months. This artificial root is used to hold a replacement tooth or bridge.
The closest thing to a natural tooth is a dental implant which has been fused to the jawbone as it stands on its own and does not affect the nearby teeth. It acts like a natural tooth and does not move. The process of fusion between the dental implant and jawbone is called "osseointegration." Dental implants are generally made of titanium as this allows them to be integrated into the bone. The body does not recognize it as a “foreign object”. Science and technology has come a long way to allow dental implants to be placed into a patient’s mouth. Nearly 98% of all dental implants are successful.
Benefits and advantages of Dental Implants:
- Dental Implants behave like natural teeth
- Dental Implants can last a lifetime
- Dental Implants prevent bone loss
- Dental Implants keep adjacent teeth stable
- Dental Implants can help keep you free of gum disease
- Dental Implants can prevent facial sagging and premature aging