Protecting your teeth is extremely important as they are susceptible to damage in a number of different ways. Some people tend to clench their jaw or grind their teeth while sleeping which can be destructive for their teeth. People suffering from this problem are recommended to wear dental night guards.
Bruxism The medical term for grinding, gnashing and clenching of teeth is called Bruxism. The condition can affect patients when they are awake (awake bruxism) as well as when they are asleep (sleep bruxism). A person occasionally grinding their teeth is not a problem as that is something which can happen due to stress. If it becomes a habit and is done excessively, it can cause major problems and should be prevented.
Symptoms of Bruxism
- Jaw, neck or face pain or soreness
- Pain that feels like an earache, though it's actually not a problem with your ear
- Dull headache starting in the temples
- Damage from chewing on the inside of your cheek
- Sleep disruption
- Teeth grinding or clenching, which may be loud enough to wake up your sleep partner
- Teeth that are flattened, fractured, chipped or loose
- Worn tooth enamel, exposing deeper layers of your tooth
- Increased tooth pain or sensitivity
- Tired or tight jaw muscles, or a locked jaw that won't open or close completely
Causes of Bruxism
Night Guard Benefits
Dental guards provide much-needed protection for those who tend to grind their teeth, especially when they are sleeping. Dental night guards can be made from laminate or acrylic due to the material being flexible. The night guard provides cushioning for the teeth and prevents them from rubbing or gnashing together. This helps prevent the symptoms of bruxism and keeps the teeth from getting damaged. Patients suffering from this problem are advised to consult their dentist as they are the ones who can recommend whether a night guard is appropriate or not.
Mouth guards can be easily bought at a local pharmacy. However, these come in general sizes while the ones you can get from a dentist are custom-made to fit your mouth. You can get perfectly shaped, custom-made dental night guards at Anderson Lake Dental. These dental guards are much better than the generic ones available at pharmacies. Contact us for more details regarding our night guards or for other dental services.